Friday, January 21, 2011

Don't Just Treat the Symptom. Cure the Disease!

Growing up in the Chicago suburbs, puberty hit me early and hard. My brother and I got our first pimples around the same time, only he was 16 and I was 10. I had premenstrual cramps that even four ibuprofen at a time didn't stop. My mood changed at the drop of a hat. My anxiety about my appearance took a hit when I found stray black hairs on my chin. It wasn't until high school, when I went 3.5 months in a row without getting my period--twice--that I realized something was very wrong. Several rounds of doctors visits revealed the cause. I had Poly-Cystic Ovary Syndrome, a condition in which the body produces too much testosterone. If left untreated, PCOS can cause infertility, heart disease, uterine cancer, and diabetes. I later learned that this condition is fairly common among American women.

My reproductive endocrinologist, an expert on PCOS, prescribed Yasmin, a type of hormonal birth control pill. It would regulate my hormones, ease my symptoms, and hopefully reduce my risk of developing worse complications. The Pill is a standard treatment for a variety of hormone imbalances.

A couple months after starting the Pill, I found out the disturbing fact that my family's health insurance was not covering it. My parents had to cover my necessary medical treatment out of pocket every month. This was a fairly large sum, since Yasmin was still new and did not have a generic version.

After about a year, my dad had good news. Our insurance would start covering the Pill--as long as they received a signed letter from my doctor stating that he was not prescribing it for contraceptive purposes. I was annoyed enough when our policy wouldn't cover the Pill at all, but what should have been good news instead left me angry. The insurance company didn't support a medication being used for it's intended purpose. I could be on birth control, as long as I wasn't using it for birth control! I knew that the insurance company would never get away with treating other medications in this way. They continued this requirement until then-governor Rod Blagojevich signed a state law requiring all insurance policies to cover birth control.

This was the incident that lead to me here, at 26, volunteering as an intern for NARAL Pro-Choice Wisconsin. Reproductive health should be a medical issue, not a political one. It's not enough to make exceptions for conditions like mine. We need to ensure choice for all women. Whether a woman goes on the Pill for contraception or disease management, whether she wants to have an abortion or undergo fertility treatments . . . these choices should be hers to make under the guidance of a non-biased physician. As someone once said, politicians make lousy doctors.


No comments:

Post a Comment

NARAL Pro-Choice Wisconsin is a pro-choice organization. We realize that some of our readers and commenters may not support our mission. We welcome comments representing diverse points of view that are evidence-based and reasonably engage the debate. We reserve the right to delete, without further explanation, comments that misrepresent evidence or promote misinformation, that threaten or demean others, or undermine the civility of discussion. We reserve the right to ban users who abuse commenting privileges.